We are back from a long, hot (but fun!) trip to North Carolina. We came home late Saturday night to empty cupboards and a lack of cooking motivation. But we hit the grocery store on Sunday and even though it was still sweltering, I managed to create this delicious, healthy meal...by accident. I made the two part of the salad separately, but then realized how delicious they would be together! And a star was born.
Wilted Kale Salad with Baby Red Potatoes, Grape Tomatoes, and Warm Sweet and Sour Vinaigrette
1 bag fresh kale, stems removed (7-8 cups)
1 small tub grape tomatoes, halved
3-4 pounds baby redskin potatoes, baked and cut into chunks
1 small sweet onion, sliced thin
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. brown sugar (or 1/4 regular sugar + 1 Tablespoon black strap molasses)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse kale (or chop if using not bagged), dry, and add to a large bowl.
2. Add 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil to frying pan on medium heat.
3. When olive oil starts to sizzle, add onions and brown, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add remaining olive oil, vinegar and sugar, cooking 3-5 more minutes until sugar dissolves.
5. Add potatoes to bowl of kale.
6. Pour warm dressing over potato and kale mixture and mix well. the heat from the dressing will help to wilt the kale and coat the potatoes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes at end (you can add them before, but I like them to stay cool!). Mix again if you'd like.
I love the variety of textures and flavors, and I'm always excited about finding yummy new ways to eat kale. It's so good for you! This is a variation on potato salad, but the kale makes it extra-filling...enough for a meal! (Q and I were certainly full!)
Have you tried any vegan recipes lately? I'm looking to find a few more new ones this week...